Every year I make a list of movies I absolutely must watch before October is over. Now the list sometimes alters slightly, but there are 10 core movies that never change. For this list I will be ranking my top 10 in the order of priority and this does mean that some franchises are out of order. I hope this list helps you with your Halloween watching this year. I will say I am listing one movie outside of the list solely because I typically just sort of casually wind up watching it. It’s The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown is something my dad used to play in the background of an event he hosted at the college he worked at in October. I would never actively think to put it in, but I somehow managed to always see it. Now onto the actual list!
10. The Craft- I mean who doesn’t want to see teen witches causing havoc during spooky season.
9. The Lost Boys- this is such a classic vampire movie and I always find myself with the urge to watch it right before Halloween.
8. The Addams Family and Addams Family Values- I used to literally play these two back to back at the video store I worked at during October on like a loop. I also played them all year round. Now I do know that these are two movies, but I never watch just one of them I always play both.
7. The Rocky Horror Picture Show- last year Krista and I went to a screening together and had hoped to go again this year, but we will be staying home and doing our own showing. I randomly listen to the soundtrack for this all the time, but it is a perfect Halloween experience movie.
6. Hocus Pocus- IT IS A CLASSIC!!!
5. Halloweentown II: Kalabar’s Revenge- Of the three, in my mind there are and will only be three Halloweentown movies in existence and you can’t convince me otherwise, this is my least favorite, but still one of my favorite Halloween movies.
4. Scooby Doo and the Ghoul School- Classic Scooby Doo animation, but set during the window when only Scooby, Shaggy, and Scrappy were the gang. They wind up at a school where the daughters of famous horror characters are and it is just so fun.
3. Scooby Doo and the Witch’s Ghost- Hex Girls, literally the only reason. I still wish I could be Thorn in real life.
2. Halloweentown High- This one almost beats out the original, which I am sure people will disagree with, but having the Halloweentown kids in the human world was always just so fun to me. Plus if you love AHS Finn Wittrock makes an appearance.
- Halloweentown- the classic Halloween movie. I will argue that this movie is the best Halloween watch and if given a choice I will pick this over Hocus Pocus. I even watch this one throughout the year sometimes just because
Honorable mentions: Teen Witch, Beetlejuice, The Scream Franchise, Cabin in the Woods
I will also note that I consider The Nightmare Before Christmas a Christmas movie. I do listen to This Is Halloween during October, but I don’t play the movie until after Thanksgiving unless some sort of special situation occurs and I am convinced to break my now Christmas movies before Thanksgiving rule.