Paul McGillion is a face you probably recognize from an array of television shows and movies. His talent as no end, having the uncanny ability to completely emerse himself into a role so profoundly, that the audience cannot help but be drawn into his character and onscreen presence.
Starring in the fresh new dance movie called “Heartbeats”, he plays the father of a talented young dancer, trying to follow her dreams. I was given the opportunity to chat with Paul about this role and some of his experiences playing it. It was a great experience learning his take of the film.
Paul has also grabbed a part in movie “Midnight Run”, starring Bella Thorne and Patrick Schwarzenegger, coming soon. That didn’t stop this dedicated man from being cast in a recurring role on CW’s “The Flash”, as well a snagging a part in the third season of “Frontier”.
Whether it’s science fiction, drama, or action, Paul’s accolades will captivate audiences with his unmistakable talent and charisma. Let’s take a look at what he had to say.
1. In the new film, Heartbeats, your character’s family travels to India, for a wedding, where “your daughter” picks up some new moves. What was it like filming with so much beautiful dancing going on?
It was amazing watching the phenomenal dancers and award-winning choreographers from India and the US working together. Plus, all that great music almost made me want to jump up and join in, but daddy has two left feet, so that wasn’t happening!
2. Do you have a favorite part of Heartbeats?
Just all the incredible visuals. Watching the film brought back memories of experiencing beautiful Indian culture, and of course, getting to work with the great cast and crew that our incredible director Duane Adler put together.
3. How did you prepare for this role?
Thankfully, no dance lessons, but I prepared myself with lots of yummy, spicy Indian food!
4. What do you want the audience to take away from this movie?
Everyone has a calling in their lives. You should believe in those dreams, go out there, and do it no matter what.
5. I hear you have a part in “Midnight Sun”, a film about a teen girl with a rare disease, who falls in love. What’s your role in this movie?
I play an entrepreneur called ‘Blake Jones’, so keep an eye out for him because that’s literally all I can say…NO SPOILERS!
6. You have quite the impressive resume. From comedy to sci-fi to horror and everywhere in between; do you have a genre you like playing more than the rest?
I’ve had the good fortune to work in lots of genres. For me, it’s all about the writing and finding the humanity in the character whatever the genre, be it comedy, sci-fi, drama etc.
7. You’ve been cast as a recurring guest star on The Flash, if you could be a superhero, who would you be?
The Incredible Eating Man! I could spend all day stuffing my face and never put on a single pound! In ‘The Flash’ I have a bit of a beer belly, it’s actually a prosthetic belly… for now, every super hero has his kryponite. 😉
8. You have Supernatural under your belt as well. What was it like working with a crew that has been together for so long?
I’ve had a chance to do a few episodes of that show over the years. Always a pleasure to work with Jared and Jensen, and I’m pretty sure they’re Cowboys fans, which makes me even fonder of them. Like Stargate, it’s been around for a long time, so everyone know’s exactly what they’re doing, which makes my job easy.
9. I hear you’ve been cast in season three of Frontier. A favorite of mine. Is there anything you can share with us about your role, and/or what season three holds for us?
Nope. I wouldn’t want to spoil the fun, and I wouldn’t want to get in trouble with Momoa, have you seen that guy? He’s huge!
10. Do you have any upcoming projects that you can share with us?
Midnight Sun opens this weekend in the US, my next episode of The Flash ‘Null and Annoyed’ airs April 10th. I also have a short film I wrote and directed at The Canadian Film Festival, and later this year you can catch me sharing the screen with The Rock in this summer’s blockbuster Skyscraper.