This week in my brainy kitchen I wanted to find a way to celebrate Rahul Kohli’s double feature event on The CW. On Monday of this week he appeared in an episode of Supergirl and he was back on Tuesday as Ravi in iZombie. For my weekly brain I decided to meld a bit of iZombie with Supergirl so we have Chinese takeout inspired brains. While potstickers might be Kara’s comfort food of choice I’m more of a soup girl myself so I present Super Spicy Soup. A quick and easy way to keep you from going full on zombie mode and fill you with the cozy warmth only a bit of soup can give you.
14.5-15 oz vegetable broth( or any broth of your choice)
Rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
6 oz mushrooms
- Combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch and 3 tablespoons water. Stir together and set aside.
- In medium sized bowl pour add broth and 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, if not already on medium heat turn down to medium, then add mushrooms.
- Let cook roughly 2 minutes.
- Add 4 tablespoons soy sauce, 3 tablespoons vinegar, 3 dashes pepper, and cornstarch mixture.
- Stirring periodically allow soup to thicken. Honestly, just keep an eye on it, once it hits the thickness you like turn off the burner.
- While the soup is thickening break two eggs into a bowl and scramble them.
- Once scrambled liberally add sriracha until stirred eggs are red.
- When your soup has reached the thickness you prefer and you have turned off the burner, pour in the eggs.
- Stir until eggs are fully spread throughout the soup. You want this to look super eggy to get the right brain look.
- Let soup cool until at a temperature that won’t burn your tongue, hey not all of us have freeze breathe and sometimes we have to wait a bit.
- Spoon into bowls or mugs and add additional sriracha to taste.
If you tried this recipe let me know what you think. I made it a bit more like egg drop soup than hot and sour soup, but that soup has a brainier look to it.
Later today I’ll be posting another iZombie article so keep your eyes peeled brainies!
Share your thoughts with us in the comments or on Twitter, @thenerdygirlexp. You can find me on Twitter, @kleffnotes, on my blog, kleffnotes.wordpress.com, on my kleffnotes YouTube channel, and I run The Nerdy Girl Express Snapchat, thenerdygirlexp.